• Of the 57 percent of physicians who used an EHR system in 2011, 90 percent used the systems to document evaluation and management services.
• Ninety-five percent of physicians who used an EHR system to document E/M services in 2011 first began using an EHR system between 2001 and 2011.
• During 2001 and 2011, 22 percent of physicians — the largest percentage of physicians — began using EHR systems in 2011; the same year CMS commenced its incentive program.
• Although EHR systems can automatically assign codes for E/M services, 88 percent of Medicare physicians assigned codes manually in 2011. The remaining 12 percent had codes assigned manually by staff.
More Articles on EHR systems:Reasons to Register for the Meaningful Use Program
Report: California EHR Use Falls Short of Federal Standards
11 Top EHRs For Small Practices