"The changes we're announcing today will lead to more coordination of patient care, reduced medical errors, elimination of duplicate screenings and tests and greater patient engagement in their own care," said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius in a news release.
Here are a few key points about the stage 2 requirements:
• Stage 2 will begin as early as 2014, and no providers will be required to follow the Stage 2 requirements before then.
• The certification criteria for the certification of EHR technology is clearly outlined, so eligible professionals and hospitals may be assured that the systems they use will work, help them meaningfully use health IT and qualify for incentive payments.
• Modifications have been made to the certification program, which cut the red tape and make the certification process more efficient.
• Current "2011 Edition Certified EHR Technology" may be used until 2014.
• There is a flexible reporting period for 2014 to give providers sufficient time to adopt or upgrade to the latest EHR technology certified for 2014.
More Articles on Meaningful Use EHR Incentive Program:Report: Hospitals' Use of Advanced Health Data Analytics to Spike by 2016
October 3 is Final Day for Eligible Professionals to Begin Reporting Period for Medicare EHR Incentive Program
5 Steps to Prepare for a CMS Audit of EHR Meaningful Use Incentive Payments