Among health insurance trade groups and associations:
- AHIP, the insurers' trade group, spent about $8.9 million on lobbyists in 2009, almost a 20 percent increase over 2008.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association also spent $8.9 million on lobbyists last year, an 18 percent increase over 2008.
Among individual insurers:
- Wellpoint was the largest spender, doling out $4.7 million in 2009 on lobbying, 21 percent more than in 2008.
- UnitedHealth Group was another big spender, putting up $4.5 million last year, 7 percent more than in 2008.
- Humana showed the biggest increase, spending $3.2 million on lobbying in 2009, almost 80 percent more than in 2008.
Read The Hill's report on health insurers.